Wednesday, January 27, 2010

january 27

aha! I have made it to Barcelona. Last night I arrived in the BCN airport feeling so proud of myself because I had already arranged for a hostel to stay in and drawn a little map based off of google on how to get there. Finding the bus from the airport to Plaça Cataluñya was no problem, but finding my hostel after that ended up taking almost two hours of wandering semi-aimlessly and making pathetic attempts at asking for directions in Spanish. So much for google maps. I knew that my Spanish was no good, but I did not realize just how much you need to know for even simple conversation. It was very frustrating, and I cried, but only a little. Finally I found the place, a funky, but clean, hole in the wall with three small floors connected by steep stairs painted bright green. Atleast it´s cheap! Only €9 per night! I went to bed feeling a little discouraged and lonely, and very jet lagged.
This morning I dressed and left the hostel as soon as possible. I neeeded to find a mobile phone store. And food! First stop was the little market across the street where I bought a loaf of bread and three bananas. I have a feeling I will be eating a lot of bread. After that I did find a phone store and although the girl working there spoke no English whatsoever, I managed to get a phone and I think it has minutes on it. Now that I was equipped with a phone and some food in my belly, I decided to hop on the metro and get down to the beach. Everyone is walking around in coats but it is really only about 55 degrees and the sun is warm. Walking down the beach I was even warm enough to take off my sweatshirt. Oh so much walking, I am already sore. I also found the Parc Citudella which is absolutely beautiful, and full of ping pongers eager to give you a turn.
That was most of my day up until now, except that I did make a friend in Plaça Catalunya named Usman, a man from Senegal who talked with me in Spanglish for over and hour.
This city is beyond incredible, very big and very beautiful. It is easy to feel lonely when I am hanging out at the hostel but walking around in the sunshine is wonderful. I´m looking forward to beginning my Spanish class and hopefully learning enough to hold a conversation.

No comments:

Post a Comment