Sunday, February 28, 2010

February 28

I have just returned from a crazy scramble up a cliff face into an old cave that overlooks Logroño, I am dusty and sweaty. Now I am back in Anna and Cere´s apartment; some friends I met when Anna was a student teacher at my high school a few years ago. I am here visiting them for a couple days before I fly out of Bilbao to Amsterdam to visit a good friend who is studying abroad there. It´s been absolutely amazing to be with a couple real friends. Even though I really don´t know them that well they have been so kind and Anna and I have been having lots of fun biking around in ridiculous windy weather and talking about MLC. Also I have gotten the chance to use their washing machine and take a shower which is freaking wonderful! I think I might take another shower today! Before here I was in Lakabe, a super small cooperative village in the Basque mountainous region. The Basque country is unbelievably beautiful, with lots of mountains (not big ones like back home in the Cascades, but beautiful nonetheless) and rolling hills all dappled with little red rooved villages. Lakabe is nestled just out of sight above a minor highway in sort of a valley with lakes in the basin and chaotic montains all around. I say chaotic because compared to the neat rows of huge peaks that I am used to at home, the seemingly random juts upward of earth and rock feel that way to me. There are forty people who live in the village, sharing use of the gardens and animals (sheep, cows, horses, chickens, and a pig) and working on various building projects together. In the mornings we would begin work around 9:30, after having toast and coffee. There were usually a couple different projects going on that I could work on. Often I went up the mountain to work in the timber camp, basically getting really muddy and pushing around big logs. For two days I helped to plaster the walls of a house they were constructing. And sometimes I would just stay in the warm kitchen and help to cook lunch for everyone, each day we had lunch all together but breakfast and dinner were eaten separately with the people in your house.
When I first arrived, the bus from Pamplona pulled over along the side of the highway in seemingly the middle of nowhere and I was told that this was Lakabe. Apprehensively I stepped out of the bus and looked around at what was breathtakingly beautiful scenery, but definitely not a village, praying to myself that this was the right place. As the bus pulled away I saw that on the other side of the road was another small road winding up a hill, with a sign reading Lacabe, the C crossed out and replaced with a red spraypainted K (later I discovered that the C is the Spanish spelling, and the K the Basque.) Next to the sign was an old gray horse, nonchalantly munching on the dry grass. Like I said before, the village is completely hidden from the highway, so I had no idea where this road would lead me, but I clumsily slung on my gigantic back pack and trudged upwards. Soon I came upon the oh-so-quaint-and-european red tile rooves and stone walls of Lakabe. No people were anywhere in sight but hawks circled high above and a few cows grazed near by. I slowly wandered down what seemed to me like the main path through the cluster of houses, feeling sort of like I was trespassing on something much to foreign and picaresque for my American eyes, and not quite sure what to expect or where to go. As I passed one house a man with wild sandy hair peered out the window and motioned me to the door. His name was Staci and he welcomed me in and gave me some food before showing me to a room where I would sleep. There are about six houses in the village, each one containing around six people. I stayed in the common house, called Xuxcal, where all the visitors plus a few residents slept, and where communal meals were eaten. The people living there are all learning, if not already speaking, the Basque language, so everything in the house had little labels in Euskarra. I really wished that everything was labeled in Spanish. There were a couple people who spoke English there but they all spoke to eachother in Spanish and by the time I left I could understand about twice as much as I could when I arrived. I still feel like an idiot when I try to speak, but atleast I can usually keep up on the general topic of conversation when I am with others who are speaking with each other.
Being in Lakabe made me wish that I were going to be spending more time on farms while I was here, in order to take the job as an Au Pair in Murcia, I had to give up my plans to WWOOF. But I suppose that I can WWOOF anywhere, maybe in Oregon this summer.
I think I will have plenty of computer access in the next few weeks with Max so I will make sure to write a blog while I am in Amsterdam. Sending my love to everyone in the States, or where ever, I miss you all a lot. Abrazos.

1 comment:

  1. Que dulce! Quiero mas estorias! Gracias por sus escribendos! Mas photographia por favor!
    (Something tells me that your spanish has already far surpassed my own) Que adventuras! Mucha amor, Tio Tod

    (It's roofs despite sounding like rooves)

    ReplyDelete